Thursday, December 1, 2011

Low-fat Banana Baby Bundts...with Peanut Butter Frosting!


Hmmm. A low-fat banana bundt with peanut butter frosting. Isn't that an oxymoron?? It is, but who really cares? Not me, not even for a second. We can just OxyClean that Moron right up, and have a piece of cake while doing it! 

 

The truth is this. I had a small bowl of peanut butter frosting left over from a chocolate Reece's peanut butter cup cake I made a day or two earlier for the birthday party of a friend's son. It (the frosting) had been sitting there in a bowl, all alone, covered in foil, without a cake to call home, and I was feeling a little bit guilty. My kitchen creations are my babies, and I was neglecting a child. Now the obvious solution to ridding myself of this guilt was to sit down with the bowl of frosting, insert a spoon, perhaps a graham cracker or two...or five, and pour a glass of red wine. But that was starting to sound cat-ladyish to me. Sooooo...I decided to use up some icky bananas, which had been sitting in the fruit bowl for God knows how long, and not throw away my husband's hard-earned money by tossing the yellow and brown-spotted sleeves of mushy monkey treats in the trash.

Okay. Let me be honest once again. But this is a secret, so please don't tell my husband. I ALWAYS purchase extra bananas that I know my he (the husband) will not eat just so I have an excuse not to waste them, as in turning them into a loaf of super buttery banana bread. But considering I had this bowl of ultra fattening peanut-butter-and-butter-and-powdered sugar goodness in front of me, I decided this time to take it easy on the butter in the cake. Wow. I just realized this is like going to McDonald's, ordering the super-sized Big Mac value meal with extra mayo on the side in which to dip my fries (c'mon, give me a break, I'm German...we like our fries and mayo!) and then asking for a Diet Coke.

Okay, enough blab. Here's the recipeeeeeeeeeee! Oh! And before I forget, I also drizzled the little banana bundts with a very easy-to-construct peanut butter glaze, just a bit. This was simply to use up a handful of Reece's peanut butter chips I had, which were just hanging out and being bored in the pantry. Yes, I will give you the recipe for that as well. Because I love you.


Low-fat Baby Banana Bundt Cakes
  
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • a pinch of nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/8 cup vegetable oil (I use light olive oil)
  • 1/8 cup natural applesauce, unsweetened
  • 3 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract 
  •  

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease and flour your cake pan, or just take the easy way out like I do and use Baker's Joy spray. (I used a Nordic Ware multi mini bundt pan, with 6 mini bundt cavities in one pan.)
  3. Sift together, in a large mixing bowl, the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  4. In another bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the oil, applesauce, and sugar. I usually mix on a medium speed until the mixture starts to lighten up a bit and increase slightly in volume. This will help to build some structure and make your cakes soft. If you want slightly denser bundts, beat until just mixed.
  5. Whisk together the milk, egg, banana, and vanilla, and then mix into the sugar/oil/applesauce mixture until well combined.
  6. Stir the wet mixture in with the dry, just until combined.
  7. Fill your bundt cavities about ¾ full, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. (I think about 2/3 of a cup of batter is enough for these mini bundts, but I always go a little fuller to use up my batter. Of course my cakes puff up way above the top of the pan, but I don't mind. I like little puffy cakes.) 


Peanut Butter Frosting
  • ½ cup butter, room temperature (1 stick)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
  • 9 Tbsp milk, or as needed
  1. Cream together the butter and peanut butter until well-mixed and creamy.
  2. Gradually mix in the sugar.
  3. Add the milk, 1 Tbsp at a time, until spreadable and desired consistency is reached.
  4. Beat for another 2-3 minutes to get the frosting nice and fluffy.


Peanut Butter Glaze
  • 1/3 cup Reece's peanut butter chips
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp light corn syrup

Just throw everything in a microwave safe bowl and nuke in 20 second increments, stirring well each time. It usually takes about 40 seconds for me to get my glaze completely melted and smooth. I take a whisk at the end to make sure that everything is perfectly melted and mixed really well.

Would you like to know a little 'trick' on how to get your glaze over the tops of your cakes easily, with little mess, and to get a professional finish? Sure you would.

Simply take a large Ziplock bag and stuff it down inside a tall cup, flipping the top of the bag down over the rim of the cup. Make sure one of the corners is stuffed down into the bottom of the cup as this is where the glaze will come out later on. Pour the glaze down inside the bag, making sure to use a rubber spatula to get all of it out of the bowl. Then just pull the bag out, twist the top around a few times, and snip off a ¼ inch opening in the bottom of the bag. You now have a homemade piping bag and can effortlessly drizzle the glaze over the cakes and give it a nice and neat finish. When the glaze has hardened a bit, you can use the same Ziplock bag technique to pipe a fluffy mound of peanut butter frosting, right in the center of your little bundts.  Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment