Friday, July 20, 2012

Chcolate Chip Bread Pudding with Chocolate Ganache (Vegan, Dairy-free)



Oh yes.  Have I got a treat for you.  You will *heart* me.

Soft 'n gooey 'n oh-so-comforting, loaded with tiny morsels of melt-y chocolate, and draped in velvety rich chocolate sauce.  AND...it's vegan.  And sans dairy...hence the 'vegan' part of the description.  I'm Captain Obvious, and I knew you'd love me.



I had a big ole stinking bag of leftover bread rolls in my pantry.  They weren't really 'stinky', but I'm sure sitting there much longer they might have taken on that characteristic.  They were, however, stale and unfit for any respectable sandwich.  And I'm not eating much bread these days.  (Unless you 'trick' me into coming with you to Panera Bread.)  I had purchased these for an Emotional Freedom Technique workshop last Sunday, facilitated by yours truly.  And as you can see, I got stuck with my own leftovers.  That's okay.  When life hands you stale bread, you make magic bread pudding.


And then cover it in more chocolate.

This bread pudding is not overly sweet, but is IS rich.  So if you are a normal human being, you will only require a small square.  If you are occupying MY hungry human body, you will shamelessly require a much larger brick of bread pudding.

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding w/Chocolate Ganache:

  • Approx. 8-10 Crescent or Large Dinner Rolls (NOT humongous bakery size)
  • 2 C. Almond Milk
  • 1 C. Coconut Milk, divided (full fat coconut milk from the can)
  • ½ C. Vegan Buttery Spread (such as Earth Balance)
  • ½ C. Turbinado Sugar (or regular sugar)
  • 4 Packets of Stevia* (I use Truvia brand)
  • ¾ C. Hot Water
  • ¼ C. Milled Flax Seed (or Chia Seed)
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 tsp. Maple Flavoring (optional*)
  • ½ tsp. sea salt
  • 1 C. Chocolate Chips (I used minis)
  • Good quality chocolate for the ganache, at least 4 oz. (I used Belgian bar chocolate, brought back from Belgium)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Prepare large 9x13 baking dish (butter or spray the inside).
3.  Prepare your 'flax eggs' by stirring the flax seed into the hot water. Allow this mixture to 'rest' for about 10 minutes, or until thickened.

4.  Tear bread into large bite-size pieces, place in baking dish, and then scatter the chocolate chips over the top...maybe moving the bread around a bit so some of the chips can fall into the layers.

 


5.  Melt buttery spread, and then whisk in the sugar and stevia. Make sure you do this until the sugar has started to melt and dissolve into the 'butter'.
6.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, 1/2 C. of the coconut milk, vanilla and maple extracts, cinnamon, sea salt, and the flax gel.
7.  Stir in the butter/sugar mixture until well combined.

8.  Pour liquid mixture over the bread, and stir around with your hands to make sure all of the bread gets coated with the liquid. (I like to 'mash down' the bread so that it's really sitting in the liquid and can soak it all up—no crusties on the top for me!)




9.  Cover baking dish with foil, and bake for 35 minutes.

10.  Then remove the foil and continue baking until all of the liquid has been absorbed, and the top is lightly brown.  Took about an hour total for mine to bake.  (Cool at least an hour before slicing.)




For the Ganache:
Over very low heat, simply heat up the remaining half cup of coconut milk and chocolate in a sauce pan until the chocolate is soft.  Then whisk together until smooth.  
My ganache came out a little thin, but it WILL thicken up as it cools in the fridge.  So you can chill it for a half hour or so and then stir again if you want it want to lay on thick.  
When you're ready, just slather it on and grab a fork.

Enjoy.


I was very impatient.  My ganache was still a bit runny when I snapped this picture.  But that's okay, because it was scrum-diddly-umptious all the same.  Like my made-up word?

 
I honestly think I could have pulled this off in a bundt pan.  Or perhaps the mini bundt pans.  The mini fluted pans would have been perfect, with the crater in the top, made for holding all of my ganache.  Then I could just eat the ganache with a spoon.  Ganache soup.  I like it. 
*If you do not have stevia on hand, just add in an additional ¼ C. of sugar.
**If you do not have maple extract, you can also sub the stevia for a ¼ C. of maple syrup...or even some honey or agave. Keep in mind if you are a strict vegan, honey won't work for you.

If you are curious about this emotional freedom technique business I mentioned earlier, you check out another side of me here.

2 comments:

  1. Lordy! I should not have looked at this while juice-fasting ;) Mega-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...silly girl. :-) Stay FAR AWAY from this blog while juice fasting. I've been 'trying' to be healthy...but I needed to do something with that stale bread, and I HATE throwing things away. All that 'starving kids' programming I received as a kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete