Monday, September 17, 2012

White Chocolate Banana Pancakes (Vegan, Dairy-free)






Have you ever just had one of those EXTREME HANKERINGS for pancakes at an extremely inappropriate time?  Or IS there any inappropriate time for pancakes?  Is it just my childhood guilt-and-shame subconscious programming kicking in, for wanting to have sweets in the afternoon?  I didn't even have a proper breakfast today!  Oh, and here's another question.  Have you ever had an inappropriately rotten banana in your kitchen, but you didn't have the heart to throw the little guy away?


(Poor guy...not his best day.)  This was my dilemma today.  Not enough banana to make muffins or bread.  Didn't feel like scaling down an already-existing recipe for two dozen treats.  Soooooo, I pranced my way down e-highway and stopped by Chocolate-Covered Katie's insanely delicious dessert blog.  If Katie's not using chocolate, she's using bananas to create some of the most creative vegan desserts, MEANT to be eaten at totally inappropriate times.  And I knew she would have some kind of single-lady something-or-other into which I could turn this red-headed-step-child-of-a-banana.


I suppose that by now you could probably figure out, all on your own, that I took that banana and made a short stack of pancakes...oh, and probably if you read the title, too.  Yep.  Katie had a perfect recipe already laid out for me...JUST for me.  But I wanted to make it my own and simply not copy someone else's work.  I know, I know.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And certainly nothing about this recipe was broken.  But I needed something else.  Something that says, 'There's a party in these pancakes...bring your own syrup!'   So, by doubling her recipe (hey, I was hungry!) and adding some white chocolate chips and a pinch of this and that, I got exactly what I had hoped for.  Something to hit the sweet spot, calm the cravings, and help me drown out the voice of my 'inner fatty'.  And nothing against fatties.  I love all foodies...skinnies...fatties...makes no difference to me.  It's just that I have to show some restraint once in a while, or my thyroid would eat me alive.  :-)



Here you go, all you precious afternoon-or-midnight pancake eaters!


White Chocolate Banana Pancakes (makes 2-3 pancakes):


  • 2/3 C. flour (I used all-purpose)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 medium very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/2 C. + 2 Tbsp. almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp. white chocolate chips (make sure they are vegan if you are strict)
  • light-tasting olive oil or coconut oil for cooking 
Directions:
1.  Heat your griddle or frying pan to just below a medium heat, somewhere between medium-low and medium.  Add just enough olive or coconut oil to cook the pancakes, ensuring they will get a nice golden 'crust'.
2.  Combine mashed banana with almond milk and vanilla extract.
3.  In separate mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients, leaving out the white chocolate chips.
4.  Stir the banana mixture into the dry, being careful not to over-mix.

5.  Ladle the mix onto your heated pan; sprinkle a few of the white chocolate chips on top of each pancake.


6.  Once the pancake batter starts to bubble up, it's time to flip!


7.  Finish cooking on other side, just until pancake is cooked all the way through.



8.  Top pancakes with vegan buttery spread, maple syrup, a few extra white chocolate chips, or whatever for which your heart yearns.


 Enjoy.  xx

 Reader Question:  What's the most bizarre, or unique, food craving you've ever had and actually gave into?

P.S.  Sorry for all of the spacing issues.  Can't seem to edit properly today.  Oh, well. 





2 comments:

  1. Yay...you commented!! <3 Yes, thanks to your base banana pancake recipe, these were AWESOME...and I managed to get in some form of 'chocolate'...although not the same. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete